Sunday, November 04, 2012

The Elk Experience - Trip II

Papa Deere Grandma was able to come out to visit us for a few days this October.  I was super excited to bring her out to see the elk.  I was concerned that the elk herd may have dispersed already, especially with the colder weather and the few days of snow that encroached us from the mountains. 
 
We lucked out - it was a beautiful 68 degrees on a Sunday afternoon, perfect for another picnic with the elk.  The elk were very cooperative, too, migrating closer and closer to us (so much so that we could smell their musk and barnyard odor).  

The beginning of the Little Rockies.  I was a bit surprised not to see the tops of these mountains capped with snow.  Won't be long, though!


An elk calf still nursing from its mother. 
Two bulls engaging in a scuffle.  Quite the sight. 


Devouring turkey wraps with the elk. 


Grandma had a great time and can't wait to do it again! 


No comments: